Dysphoria - Pt. 1 (Introduction)

Here's a touchy subject that's been in my consciousness quite a bit lately: Dysphoria.

It's also a complex subject that I originally thought I'd just do a single post about, but I'm now thinking each topic warrants its own separate post.

For the uninitiated, most transgender folk seem to report some level of discomfort and dissatisfaction mainly over the physiological hand they were dealt by Nature. These typically constellate around the overall configuration and appearance of our bodies.

For many of us (particularly older trans folk) the lingering effects of having gone through a puberty for a sex we don't feel aligned with, can be particularly traumatic. 

These feelings are gathered under a general term of "Gender Dysphoria".

Transphobic (and even some well meaning) cisgender folks often exacerbate this situation, often by dismissing, minimizing, or deflecting the issues. 

I recently posted this observation on my Facebook feed, it captures some of the unhelpful vibe we're subjected to:

There's a lot of het cis pushback against trans folk, trans women in particular, that they simultaneously failed at being their assigned gender, but also can't possibly succeed at their identified gender; it's a proverbial Catch-22.

Them: You aren't a REAL man, you're too soft, too gentle, too nurturing, you don't like guy things.

Me: That's OK, I'd rather be a woman anyway.

Them: You can't do that, you're a MAN!

Me: <sigh>

Personally, gender dysphoria comes at me in a variety of forms around my appearance, mannerisms, voice, and overall feminine presentation. I've managed to ameliorate many of the issues. Others I still struggle with.

I'll elaborate further in the separate posts. Stay tuned. 














Comments

Popular Posts