Wigs - Lesson 1

I have a sad story to tell you. I'm losing my hair.

I started going bald in my late 20s, though my hair was never very full.

I never felt like there was much point in fighting it, male pattern baldness ran in my family and I already felt like I wasn't much to look at anyway, so what point in getting wrapped around the axle over one more appearance setback?

I'm sure I'll analyze those feelings to death elsewhere on the blog, but for the present topic this means that in order to present a sufficiently femme appearance, I must resort to wigs.

I've learned a few things about them over the last couple of months.

There are several kinds, the main differentiation being whether they're constructed of synthetic fiber or from actual human hair.

The first bit of wisdom you typically see about wigs is not to skimp on price. I'm unclear what the break point is for that exactly, but I can say that the difference between a $15 synthetic wig and a $50 one is noticeable and definitely worth the extra $35. I haven't yet paid more than that to say whether things get even better for the $100-$200-$300 models.

Synthetic wigs tend to be cheaper than real human hair ones, but can look just as good (at least for a while). Caring for them is somewhat different however; human hair care products (shampoo and conditioner in particular) don't work so well on synthetic fibers generally.

For washing, I've just used dish washing liquid (Dawn). And the synthetic wigs are prone to build up of static electricity, making them frizzy and hard to style. The most common fix for this I've seen is to spray them with a 1to1 solution of liquid fabric softener and water. You can also soak a badly frizzed wig in mostly pure fabric softener for a couple of days to detangle it and take out the frizzies.

I'm not going to go into the particulars of wig caps, glues and tapes, lace fronts, and all that just yet, I'm still learning.

Comments

Popular Posts