Epilation

One of my greatest desires and current joys is the removal of much of my body hair. I love feeling smooth.

I started by shaving my crotch and progressed to armpits and later (when I was in a more supportive environment) arms and legs.

I recently acquired an Epilator. In particular the Braun Silk-épil 9, I'm basically very happy with it. I bought the set with the exfoliating brushes and massager head, along with three different epilator shields and a razor head.

I think it was definitely worth the extra cost over the sets with fewer accessories. I love the exfoliating brushes and the massager feels great on my scalp and feet.

If I have any complaint about the Silk-épil 9 it's that the release button to change the head is located in a place where it's a bit too easy to click it accidentally while using the device. I've accidentally released and dropped the exfoliator/massager head in the shower a couple of times because of this.

Now, going in I had little concept of how epilation would work and there's some tips I can share for anyone (cis- or trans-) who wants to get smooth using this method.

Some of what I describe below may sound scary, and it's undeniably uncomfortable to start; but I'm going to say to you that for me the results are worth it!

<Disclaimer>
As always with such things, this is my EXPERIENCE. Take this with all appropriate granules of NaCl and remember: YMMV.
</Disclaimer>

First, an Epilator is most emphatically not a razor! You cannot (at least at first) expect simply to glide it across your skin to remove the hair.

The first time is going to hurt; and it will continue to do so until you get used to the sensation and most of the hair is gone and your skin finally gets traumatized into submission :-P

That said there are some ways to minimize the discomfort:

Don't plan to do this all in one go, the initial job takes time. Start in a relatively small area on a relatively hairless part of the body. Inner part of the wrists maybe, or shins.

Most definitely shave (or do a very close trim) first. Epilating long hairs makes an already uncomfortable process excruciating.

I was not an especially hairy guy; and I had been shaving much of my body for some weeks prior to starting epilation so I imagine my experience was relatively mild compared to someone starting out with heavier growth.

Depending on the texture, looseness, and sensitivity of the skin, and the relative abundance of hair in a particular area; I suggest trying different motions with the epilator.

Short strokes, "pouncing", and small circles have all worked for me in different locations; experiment to find out what's most comfortable and effective for the area in question.

I was blessed with steady hands that allow me to move the device in very small increments, which is a godsend in particularly hairy areas. Resting your arm on something can help with this if yours aren't so steady.

Some other tips:

Epilate at different angles to catch hairs growing out at different angles.

Exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate. This removes the dead skin that's often covering new hair growth, this allows the little buggers to spring out and helps avoid ingrown hairs (ouch!).

Expect rashes in some areas after epilating, not sure what causes this. They tend to go away after a few hours (though some are more persistent). Some even evolve into something like acne that takes a while to resolve.

Be careful in looser areas of skin that you don't let the epilator gouge the skin rather than pluck hairs. I've done this a couple of times, not fun. Always best to hold things as taut as you can while applying the epilator, sometimes it seems like this is a two person job. :-/

Two person job also feels true for hard to see/reach areas, like the back and derriere; haven't quite worked what to do about that; but in fairness, that would be an issue no matter what hair removal method I was using.

Anyways, afterwards I apply a some witch hazel over the areas I've epilated, sometimes alcohol if it's particularly irritated (or contused %-0), then a moisturizer.

Conclusion:

As I see it the goal is to get the hair growth to what I call "maintenance mode" where I can just skim the epilator across the skin every couple of days to catch stragglers and new growth and stay smooth.

I have my arms and legs to this stage now, my chest and belly mostly there, and am working on various other areas.

I think of it as a work in progress...








Comments

  1. Sounds very interesting. I might have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts